Sunday, 9 November 2008
Actionscript bad habits
Hereby a list of things I find daily in my job:
- Malicious code: Code in lots of items such as buttons, movieclips, etc. It takes a long time to see all the code. It should be nested in classes or just in some frames as much, but I find files with code in more than 50 places.
- Using variables instead of arrays. They usually use "Eval" instead of "for in". Using a lot of boolean variables.
- Bad terminology: Something like this: mc_car instead of car_mc. Same for buttons.
- Thousands of movieclips and items in the library instead of using dinamyc creation of them.
- Library Caos: It is not so difficult to make folders: img/sound/mc/buttons
- Excesive use of timeline instead of code. One frame is enough, a bit more depending on your preload (if it´s AS2)
- No version control. So you find files names like: car_definitive.fla, car_definitive2.fla, etc.
- Magic numbers instead of using constants or stage proportions
- Code not tabbed.
- Unnecessary spaces in the code.
- Nule documentation or no comments at all.